The workshop will be held on 15-19 June 2020 at the Venetian Great Arsenal, Center of Mediterranean Architecture, Old Venetian Harbor, Chania, Crete, Greece.
The Great Arsenal is the largest of the Venetian dry-docks and has been extensively altered many times since its construction in the sixteenth century. Like many Venetian buildings in Chania, it was modified firstly by the Turks who cut off its barrel-vaulted roof, and then again in the late nineteenth century when an upper storey was added after which the building became a Christian school and then the Town Hall from 1928 to 1941. The Grand Arsenal was partly destroyed by the aerial bombardment in 1941 and it has only been completely restored as the Center of Mediterranean Architecture since 1997.
All of the conference activities as well as some of the social events will take place at the Great Arsenali. The conference venue consists mainly of:
- the main (180 m2) hall with capacity of more than 200 participants (1st floor);
- two rooms (80 m2 each) with capacity of about 50 partipants each for parallel Sessions (ground and 1st floor);
- exhibition hall (150 m2) for Welcome reception and sponsor's exhibit booths (ground floor)
- exhibition area (110 m2) for poster presentations (attic)
Social Events & Sightseeing
- Welcome Reception. The Welcome Reception will be held at the city's Old Town with an exceptional view to the Venetian Harbor of Chania on Tuesday 16 June 2020.
- Gala Dinner. The Gala Dinner will offer the participants a unique tasteful night in an outstanding scenic setting full of traditional Cretan dishes and plenty of wine. Cretan and Greek music will accompany your dinner while....dancing is NOT optional!!!
- Lunch buffet. Lunch buffet will be offered at the Workshop Venue every day.
- Coffee Breaks. Coffee, tea and refreshments will be offered at the Workshop Venue every day.
Chania is surrounded by numerous options. Mountain villages, beaches, swimming, fishing, archaeological sites, (such as the Minoan Civilization in Knossos) and gorges are open for you for sightseeing, exploration and discovery.
Excursions (not included in the registration fee)
In case that you want us to organize excursions to selected touristic places please contact the Organizing Committee to be informed about availability and cost. The following places are recommended:
Samaria Gorge, National Park Elafonisi Pink Sand Beach Balos & Gramboussa Boat excursion